Keys to Successful Direct Marketing Programs
This list supplements and expands upon Bob Stone's Six Factors to Direct Marketing Sucess. It goes into greater detail and covers areas not addressed in Mr. Stone's list. It addresses all of the factors that are involved in planning and executing direct marketing programs, regardless of media. It's a checklist that you and your marketing team must address before you launch any direct marketing efforts.
- Who are they?
- What do they want?
- What are their needs?
- What will motivate them to purchase?
- What are your marketing objectives?
- Does the product/services conform to objectives?
- What is the value impression?
- How does the product compare to competitive products?
- Is the product exclusively yours or is it widely available from your competition.
- How is it packaged?
- What's the market potential?
- What's the revenue potential?
- Does the product (service) lend itself to repeat business?
- Pricing, time limits, optional features, credit options, guarantees, etc. -- have they all been considered?
- Financial / marketing objectives?
- Immediate profit
- Back-end long term business
- Developing new market
- Is it the strongest offer you can make?
- Is the offer overstated?
- Would additional incentives help?
- Copy in keeping with audience/offer?
- Format consistent with offer?
- Design/graphics consistent with offer?
- Response device restate offer?
- Does it get prospect to act immediately?
- Does it tell them what to do?
- Does it tell them how to do it?
- What's the overall budget?
- What's the ideal media mix?
- What are the timing & promotional calendar?
- What's the status of customer file?
- What's the status of outside list rental?
- What's the primary media selection?
- What are the alternate media opportunities?
- Are promotion & offer clear?
- Are response devices properly designed?
- Can promised services be delivered?
- Are you tracking & controlling incoming orders?
- Are billing and collection processes in order?
- Is your inventory managed to speed deliveries and reduce backorders?
- Are you responding to customer complaints?
- How are you processing returns?
- Is your customer always right?
- Tracking results by source code?
- Analyzing results by geo, demo, etc.?
- Level of repeat business by source?
- Tracking product performance - transactions, revenues, profits?
- Why test?
- What do you test?
- What level of confidence?
- What level of error?
- What level of response is required?
- Are the results of variables being tested statistically different?
- How much error can you live with when you go to full-scale?
- How familiar is the customer with your company/product?
- What attributes of your company/product are important?
- How do people perceive your company/product vs. the competition?
- Does the prospect buy your product?
To find out more about our products and services, click here or call us today at (651) 315-7588.